6.29.2015

Week 78: Last few days!


This is my last real day as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. These 18 Months have been the single greatest experience of my entire life, and the best decision I have ever made.

They were the best 18 Months of {and for} my life.

They were the hardest fun I've ever had.

They were a fast from all else.

They were a taste of heaven.

They were the longest blink of an eye.

They were a mile in His shoes.

They were the good life, Texas style.

I will never forget the miracles I saw, the people I met, or the things I learned. I am so grateful for the person I have become. I never considered going on a mission, and I am so incredibly grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who had a better plan for my life than I could have ever imagined. When my world came crashing down around me three years ago I spent six months on my knees asking God "why?" In October 2012, He answered me through the words of our dear, sweet Thomas S. Monson... that young women could serve missions at age 19. and although the road wasn't easy {to get here, or especially to get home} it has been so worth it.  My story is so similar to the talk by Hugh B Grant "The Currant Bush" and the words echo in my heart... "Thank you mister Gardener, thank you for cutting me down, for loving me enough to hurt me."

This week I cashed in my coin jar I've collected my whole mission: $14! that's 1400 little miracles {I always found a penny when I followed a prompting}. such a tender mercy to realize exactly how many times the Lord reaches out to us.

One day we had an extra 20 minutes before an appointment to find a referral the elders had left us. We had tried him 2 other times and I had a bad feeling about the house both times. This last time we tried to contact him I saw the next door neighbor pull up in his car. I felt something pull me towards him, and when he introduced himself I couldn't believe it... he was the one we were looking for! He went to church for months in Guatemala because his friends are members. He has lived here for ten years and has been looking for the church ever since- he told us he drives around by all the churches, looking for our sign, but never found it! WOW.

I had my last exchange this week! Sweet little Sister Packard came to Brazos with me- it is so surreal to be the one giving advice and helping a new missionary. I still vividly remember crying in Hermana Driesel's arms on my first exchange.

My last weekend was unforgettable! The Elders had a wedding and three baptisms, and a member of our bishopric was sealed {the one where I asked his wife and was shocked to find out they weren't sealed yet}! Lunch with the Morgans, and the sweetest blessing from him {and wayyyy too much dating advice}. Taught Daisy and SHE asked US when she could be baptized! and the Nunez made me my absolute favorite meal {fajita, salchicha, guacamole, manzanita} and even made me a poster and got me a cake... which they shoved my face into. haha MORDIDA. I couldn't have asked for anything more.


Funnies of the Week:

I gave a very frank law of chastity lesson that made a very hard, cold man blush.

"My name is Fernando, but my mom calls me VEN!"

All the members wanted me to catch the bouquet at the wedding. 


Thank you for all of your love and support.
HUG YOU TOMORROW! Ahh!

Hermana McOmber



18 months of LETTERS!



Everything is big in Texas!





Empty Mailbox




Last exchange!



Too tall!









Farewell dinner!



My favorite meal!






Pushing face into cake - tradition!





Lots of good-byes....















Wedding and Baptisms of this beautiful family...

 








Goodbye Hermana Medeiros!




Goodbye Brazos!



FAREWELL TEXAS!!!



1 comment:

  1. We have loved reading your mission letters!! I cried reading this last one and seeing the pictures! I know the people you have taught have loved you so much--see you soon!

    ReplyDelete