6.30.2014

Week 26: 6 months!




Mis amores,

Tomorrow is my 6 MONTH mark! AHH!!

This week started out so hard. I have really struggled with being sad and lonely on my mission, and one of the only things that really made me happy was that black puppy that would follow me around on River Oaks street. He was always so excited to see me and would follow us wherever we went and would sit on the porch and wait for us while we taught a lesson, and then walk with us to the next one. If we taught a lesson outside he would sit on my feet and take a nap because as hard as he tried I wouldn't let him sit on my lap. He always hated when we had to leave, always jumping in the car after we got in. I LOVED that puppy. Just having anyone or anything that was happy to see me and showed me love helped me get through the hard days. On Tuesday we were walking down the street and a truck drove by going too fast and hit puppy. I have never felt so helpless, I was literally living my worst nightmare watching him die. To have my tender mercy taken from me in such a brutal way ripped my heart out. That night we had to go on exchanges, so Hermana Carter came over to our apartment for the night. She could see I was in shock and even though I thought she would think it was dumb, when I told her what happened, she cried harder than I did. We just sat on the floor of my apartment and cried. That night I prayed so hard for those images to be taken away from my mind and for the ability to pick myself up and move forward. When I woke up in the morning there was a wall in my mind, the memories were faded and I felt so protected all day, I wasn't sad at all! What a blessing to have a Savior who loves us so much.

The rest of the exchange went so well. I absolutely love Hermana Carter! She is fabulous! Her Spanish is IMPECCABLE. I learned so much from her and we are such good friends now!

On Friday we were able to go to the Houston Temple with the Pingrees. We did a session with them and had a special class afterward with the temple president. I was asked by him to say the opening prayer. What a powerful moment to be in the temple with so many missionaries dressed in white and to feel the Spirit so strong! It was an unforgettable experience. We had to say goodbye to the Pingrees, and it was like saying goodbye to my family all over again. SO HARD. Sister Pingree needed a ride home, and she asked me to drive her, so I got a little extra time with her. I am going to miss them so much!

I finished the Book of Mormon again! President Pingree challenged us to read it in one month with the filter of "How can I use the strengthening and enabling power of the Atonement?" in mind. What a neat experience! I learned so much!

W is so wonderful. He is REALLY getting into the Book of Mormon and it is so much fun to watch him learn and grow. I bought him a hymn book and he was so excited, he told me he wrote down the lyrics for "I am a Child of God" and gave them to a friend at work! And during one of our lessons this week he turned to the woman (who owns the house that he rents a room in) in the kitchen and invites her to sit and listen, and told her all about the Book of Mormon! He absolutely loves us and thinks we are angels, and he wants to be a missionary! I love it!

I love seeing that God has such a detailed plan for us. Yesterday there were two different instances where he put specific people in specific places at specific times for us to talk to them and teach them. It is absolutely amazing. Nothing is a "coincidence."

Funnies of the week:

The "bastante" number of gym rats that go to Chipotle for lunch. "See this little black nametag? Yeah, it says NOT INTERESTED."

Read a chapter in the Book of Mormon with our investigator M, rapper covered in tattoos, and he pronounced all of the "yea"s as "yeah"s. So hilarious.
Helaman 5:9 "O remember, remember, my sons, the words which king Benjamin spake unto his people; YEAH, remember that there is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, who shall come; YEAH, remember that he cometh to redeem the world." hahahah

R called us, "Bonita! Trae la nueva y ven a mi casa! Estoy cocinando taquitos!" Hahahaha He is so good to us.

It is so easy to tell which teams are playing which day in mundial by all of the jerseys everyone is wearing. Yesterday was a sea of green Mexico jerseys.


I love you all so much! Thank you for your love and support!

I would love to hear from you!

Hermana McOmber




Dulces from Mexico




Everything is bigger in Texas!




Exchanges with Hermana Carter




Chicken Lollipop ... YUM!




The Pingree's




Hermana Clement and I at the Houston Temple








CTR Rings!







Fridge of a missionary - 
You know it is Sunday when all of your food is gone!




I have been out 6 months!!
These are all of the letters we have received!











One Year Left!





Last pictures with my "Little Black Puppy"





I am going to miss my "Little Black Puppy"









1 comment:

  1. Hi Courtney! I enjoy reading your blog and just realized that you probably don't get to see who is reading your posts unless they leave some type of comment. I wanted you to know that your funny section made me laugh out loud! :) I'm sad that you had to see your little friend die in such a horrible way. That is not something most people have to experience. What a blessing it was to have a clear mind the next morning. I hope that you know that some days will be hard, but you do have family that loves you and thinks about you and is supporting you from afar! You're doing such a great job and have such a great outlook about everything. Happy six months! :)

    ReplyDelete