2.07.2015

Week 57: Tu sabes




February 2, 2015

I'm going to start off this week's post with a joke my investigator Rosabel told me this week. Get a load of this...

"Por que tenian ropa arrugada los Lamanitas?
Porque los Nefitas tenian las planchas."

"Why did the Lamanites have wrinkled clothes?
 Because the Nephites had irons {planchas also means plates, as in the brass plates}."

In the words of Rosie... "yep."

First of all, Hermana Miller: PABLO {street fruit vendor} IS BACK! I literally slammed on the brakes and jumped out of the car in the middle of the road to run over and see him. He was SO happy to see us, and SO sad that you weren't there! When I asked him where in the world he's been for so long, he was like, "Well, duh! I'm not going to sell fruit when it's cold!" haha

Miracle: Planning for Saturdays always overwhelms me {50+ families in the ward to visit, plus 8 progressing investigators to teach, plus 40+ potential investigators to follow up on, plus a handful of referrals = STRESS}, so I prayed so hard to know where to go and what to do. We needed to fill up our car with gas and the idea popped into my mind to go to a really out of the way gas station to do it. Decided to try it and as we were filling up GUESS WHO PULLED UP in to the slot RIGHT NEXT TO US. Francisco, a potential investigator we had been trying to see for weeks! He was so excited to see us and wanted us to teach him right then and there!

Miracle: We got a referral from the English sisters and later that Saturday we went to try them. Turns out to be a giant family, and every single one of them is prepared for the gospel. Unbelievable! We started the lesson with just two, then another one came in, then a cousin showed up, then the mom, then the brother. It was one of the best lessons ever! Still can't believe it!

Ohh Eliezer! He kept going out with the Elders to teach, so we never got to see him! When we finally got to see him it was one of the best moments of my mission. It was the happiest I have EVER seen him. He was absolutely glowing. THAT was the real Eliezer. He was laughing and running around and smiling and singing and even got us presents. It made me feel so good! I'm learning on my mission that my personal search for happiness was so selfish, and that is the core reason for which I never fully attained it. As I've lost myself on my mission I've found true, lasting happiness that can't be duplicated by material things I left at home. My entire definition of happiness has changed. Happiness comes from the Spirit, it's as simple as that. 

This week we went to the Relief Society President's house for dinner. I asked her if there was anything we could do for her, and she broke down sobbing. I sat next to her on her little kitchen floor and held her, and cried with her for a long time. She took my hand and kissed my cheek and said "Don't cry little one, you are the angel I had been praying for." 

Funnies of the Week:

We watched the Restoration movie with our new investigator, this cute 23 year old from El Salvador with a little husband and brand new baby, and I brought popcorn... and she didn't know how to microwave it! She had never done it before! Blew my mind! She watched me so intently as I did it for her. haha

I am obsessed with Cuban accents. So funny! They ALL say, "Tu sabes" and "Me entiendes?" after everything they say. (You know. & You understand?) Like, "Today was the longest day at work, you know how it is." 

I thought it was going to be yet another uneventful Valentine's... boy was I wrong!

I love you all so much!

I'm moving apartments this next monday, so please send any mail to the mission office!

Hermanita McOmber


Eliezer!



My favorite from his baptism!



My present from him




Saying goodbye to the Bernals




Get us out of here!
(We are moving next week!)




Finding out my best friend is engaged!






Short sleeves - hair up - a popsicle - in JANUARY!




No comments:

Post a Comment