2.05.2014

Week Five: One week left!




Hi my loves!

Can you believe I hit my one month mark a few days ago? So crazy! And in one week I will be on a plane on my way to Houston! I am heartbroken to be leaving the CCM, but I am so excited to get to Houston!

I am terrified of the airport, but luckily Hermana Jensen is going to my exact same mission so I won´t be alone! We are guessing we will fly home together as well! 

I GOT MY LETTER!!!!!!!!!!!! AHH!!!!!!!!!! I was skipping around and smiling the rest of the day. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This week as Hermana Jensen and I were teaching our investigator outside, I was bearing my testimony of tithing and out of the corner of my eye I could see an Elder with his mouth wide open waving at me. haha It was Elder Brett Tittle! It is so so SO nice to have people I know here.

I always get sick after every meal here- my system just rejects it, not sure if it´s the water or the food- so that, coupled with the stomach flu made for a pretty hard week. And I don´t really sleep because I consistently have bad nightmares and then I tense up and spend the rest of the night trying to stretch out my charley horses. And then the Hermanas next door are loud and stay up laughing and singing and do their laundry until 3am.   Pretty tired when the alarm goes off at 6 am.  But all you can do when you are sick is lay in bed by yourself all day long, so I said a prayer every morning to feel good enough to go to class, and I was blessed with just enough to make it through the day! I did NOT wait this long to get out here to miss a single second of it.

One morning I woke up and decided that if I wore my favorite outfit I would be more likely to have a better day.... WRONG. So Molle is this chicken cooked in chocolate, peanut butter, and hot sauce, and one afternoon when I was trying to eat a little lunch, I was so tired I accidentally bumped my fork and got an enormous stain all down the front of my favorite outfit. Soaked. Right down to my skin. Through all seven articles of clothing I had on {heaven help me when I get to Houston}. The natives were in tears telling me that there was no way on earth to get a Molle stain out. Well, it took seven whole days of soaking and scrubbing and washing and praying, but I got it out of everything! I was so proud of it, I wore the outfit again and showed them, and they were so shocked they all took pictures to send home to their madres. hahahahah

I seriously love the natives. I´m so sad we don´t have the time to get to know them better, they only stay here for a week or two. They all tell me I look like Taylor Swift and want pictures. haha! During gym this week I didn´t feel up to anything, so while the district played beach volleyball I would just take a nap on the grass. And one day this cute native Elder was so concerned that I would get burnt by ¨their sun¨ that he kept running over and waking me up. And they all still yell ¨te amo¨ ¨mi esposo¨ in the comedor. haha 

On Sundays we have movie night and we were watching ¨Finding Faith in Christ¨ and it´s one of the leaders computers hooked up to a projector on a giant screen in the auditorium. So the scene with the crucifixion had just ended and everyone was so somber and quiet, and suddenly the computer goes to sleep and the screensaver pops up... it was one of those hilarious awkward family cat photos. Everyone was dying. It was so funny! Something funny happens every single day, so I gave up the whole ¨funny of the week¨ because there are seriously just too many! Like, we have to have ¨companionship inventory¨ on a weekly basis, and you just tell your companion what they do that bugs you and you have to try and do it in a nice way.... but the elders usually fight. Literally ¨wrestle mania¨ in the beach volleyball sand pit. Änd sometimes we have district inventory when we need to get things off our chests. So we always joke and say ¨Distrito Inventario hasta la muerte.¨ {district inventory to the death} hahahahah

One day for class my favorite teacher, Hermano Trejo, had us run around campus and bear our testimonies with the trabajadores! It was such an incredible experience. Most of the workers here are not LDS {SUD, santos de los ultimos dias}, and they were all really busy trying to get everything ready for the dedication on Sunday. Some of them look like pretty shady characters, honestly, and we were so nervous to interrupt their work, but our teacher was pretty close by so we just took a deep breath and dove in. IT WAS AMAZING. Some of them were a little peeved that we were talking to them, but as we began to share our testimonies you could literally watch their hearts soften. The Spirit was so strong and they were so happy by the time we said goodbye. We probably talked to at least thirty workers, and now we have thirty new friends! 

I have only been out for a month, and I am not even in the field yet, but coming on a mission was the best decision I have ever made in my life. In beginning to lose myself in this work, I have found myself. In letting go of the things I thought made me happy, I have found true happiness. In leaving those I love, I have found love. I have made some of the greatest friends of my life in just five short weeks, and although I may not ever see them again in this life, they will be a constant source of support and I will cherish them for the rest of my life. I am sitting here, weeping at the thought of leaving them and this beautiful place, but the thought of bringing someone to the knowledge of their Savior is driving me forward and giving me the strength to finish out this last week.

I love you all so dearly, more than I can adequately express. Thank you for preparing me for this; for teaching me how to work hard, for teaching me the importance of prayer, for teaching me patience and kindness, for showing me more love than I could ever deserve, for supporting me with this decision, and for getting me here. I think about you every day. I teach an investigator the first lesson, about how the gospel blesses families, and I think back to family home evening every Sunday and how much I loved that. I see a skirt from Bella Ella and I think of Maren and the incredible friend she was. I see all of these crazy little birds and I think of Dad and how much he would love them. I hear an elder playing the piano like an angel and think of Mom freaking out and asking him to marry me. haha! I learn a really hard concept in Spanish and think of how Spencer could so easily figure it out, in a fourth of the time it would take me. I see the native elders playing soccer and think of how much fun Nick would have with them. I see little stray puppies running around when we drive to the visitors center and I think of my sweet little Coco. I read the theme and I think of my precious young women. I hear cute accents and immediately think of Philippa and Kseniya. I see Elder Hansen and think of Kailin and her sweet little baby on the way. I hear a song on the radio in a car that whizzes by and can picture Claire and I driving to a dance on the weekend in her fun little green car, having the best time. I put on my blue blazer and I think of Rachel and Gioia and all the good they are doing in Europe in their matching blue blazers. I do not exaggerate when I say I think of you all, every single day. 

I love you and miss you all so much!
Para siempre Dios este con vos

Hermana McOmber



freezing cold classrooms



"Book of CCM" 
(Humorous new 'scriptures' being written by the missionaries and passed down each week)







Beautiful butterflies, birds and flowers everywhere



New lockers - broke the first day!






Great friend, Elder McComb from BYU!






We are flying!







We absolutely love studying out in the sunshine




Finding such amazing friends here!




I love Sister Zamora!  We are soul sisters!











We love playing tennis




Tan lines!



Picture of some of the first elders at the CCM.


Found the elder that was a BYU student known for making videos of kissing girls at BYU.
 (Blowing him a kiss!)







Got a letter!!



We match all the time



Best Hermanas in the CCM!




It is Fast Sunday, we are starving, and we think we look like Neopolitan Ice Cream!




I have become friends with the Elder I spilled orange juice on - haha!




Teaching Family Home Evening






Feeling like me again!  Got to paint my nails!





One week left......




No comments:

Post a Comment